Friday, January 16, 2009

Orphanage Visit - Zoo visit







Hello all, Yesterday we went to visit the Hefei orphanage and the Wild animal zoo. It was very sad to see so many children without a home. I must say that the orphanage was much better than I expected. I really didn't know what to think but it was great to see that the nannys really cared for the children. One of the families we are traveling with, their daughter was from this orphanage and they got to see the facility as well as meet the foster Mom who had been taking care of their daughter. They got to ask her questions and see where she has lived and meet their daughter's foster brother. It was so sweet to see her foster brother hug her and take care of her. He got her a seat and sat with her and just held her for at least 10 minutes. They said he was deaf and could not speak, but you would have never known and I must say he was very protective of his little sis.

After the emotional visit we went to the zoo where we saw several wild animals that you could actually touch and feed. Not like our zoos back home. Dominic my brave son got on a camel, a real hairy hump back camel, he also let the peacock feed from his hand. We saw lions, tigers wolves, bears, a giant panda and a multitude of other animals. You could walk up to deer and ostrich could reach you if you weren't careful.

On a previous post we mentioned we probably would not go to Amelia's orphange, over the last few days she has bonded with Mommy especially and since we visited the Hefei orphanage we thought we did not want to miss this opportunity while being so close.
So, today we traveled to see the orphanage in Anqing city where Amelia is from. It took about two hours to get there and we got to see the country side on the way. I really like the area where she is from. There were many mountains we passed to enter the city. Reminded me of West Virginia where my Mom is from. Lots of trees!
The orphanage was much different from the one in Hefei. It was much smaller and also housed elderly folks in part of it. There was no foster care on the premises but they used foster care in the way we would back in the US. We got to see Amelia's nanny and other caretakers. They really love her and had so much fun seeing her. She understands alot more Chinese than I ever will. They told us that Amelia (Huanqing) was the oldest and took great care of the other children. if they fell she would pick them up, she shared everything with the others and is very generous, we have experienced this with her already. She shares everything and is very helpful. She is also very attached to Mommy at this point. Although Amelia was very happy to see her friends and nanny, she was very happy to leave with her Mommy! We got to see another child whose parents will be traveling to China later this month to bring her home. We took lots of pictures.
That's it for now...off to Guangzhou where its almost 80 degrees, although we are happy to be closer to coming home and seeing our wonderful children Hunter, Gabrielle and Hope, it is sad to leave where she is from, hard to explain.






4 comments:

"T" said...

What a wonderful busy few day's you have had. I bet y'all are so tired running around doing good and making others so happy:) Thank y'all so much Brizzi's for the photos of my baby girl. The one with Djuna holding Mattilyn is priceless and just beautiful:)
www.ourmattigirl.blogspot.com

Angela said...

Djuna you're awesome and God was awesome through you to get Tonya those pictures. What a gift! I've so enjoyed watching your journey to your sweet little girl.

Angela
AWAA mom (whose really ready for a TA :)

Kristi said...

Djuna, I so know what you are talking about with it being hard to leave your child's province. I stood holding a sleeping Caleb in my arms at the Wuhan airport with tears streaming down my face on Halloween night. I'm sure that the security men thought I was crazy! Amelia is blessed to have you so in tune to what is happening to her. I'm praying that bonding continues for you and all the other families there now. Have fun being reunited in Guangzhou!

Kristi
AWAA mom

tjustice4 said...

I love your blog. We, also, adopted our daughter from China in July. She is now four years old and I would go again in a second. I just found out that a girl from my daughters orphanage met her family on Tuesday. Most likely you will meet up with them in Guangzhou, especially when you take pictures at the red couch. If you meet a family that has an older girl about 7 years old that is from Nanjing, tell the mother that I have lots of pictures of my daughter and her daughter that I would love to share with her. The little girls name is Ting Ting. My email address is tjustice4@yahoo.com. Thank you for sharing your blog with us. You seem to have an incredible family. Enjoy your time in China. It goes quickly.
Tracy